Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Mother's Day in LA



I just got back from visiting my 91-year-old mom in LA. She's doing great! Here we are with my dad and brother.


I made her a set of quilted placemats
with matching napkins. 


Their part of LA is drowning in wild mustard after all the winter rain. It's beautiful, but the city is trying to clear it out because it's invasive and will be a fire hazard. You can see below how it's taller than these two adults!


It does contrast nicely with the ocean, though. I took these pictures on the cliffs of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, in the southern part of LA.


Their neighborhood is just gorgeous with other flowers.


I spotted this sign in a neighbor's driveway. She was outside so I stopped to chat and she said she started putting out a different quote every day during Covid. Now she just changes it out when she thinks of it.

In the Tucson airport there was a display of art by Diana Madras, who painted saguaros in the style of different famous painters. These are my favorites:


"Saguaro Frida"


"Saguaro Matisse"


"Saguaro Pollock"


I'm definitely a happy mom!




4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, that wild mustard is tall! Reminds me of sour grass we used to have near one of our homes when I was a kid.
Your folks still have great smiles, I can sure see your resemblance to your mom!
Love the flowers in their area - especially the Nasturtiums!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Great that you could be with your mom on Mother's Day. And wow - all those beautiful flowers!

The Inside Stori said...

Heartwarming post beginning to end!!

Jade Kolenda said...

It looks like you had a fun visit to LA! Your mom looks like she is happy and well :)