Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Scary critters on the trail

 


Yesterday Beth and I encountered a rattlesnake AND a Gila monster on our hike within about 10 minutes of each other! We had a standoff with the rattler waiting for it to move off the trail. It wouldn't, so we finally stepped carefully around it.

The Gila monster, luckily, is a very slow moving animal and it lumbered off the trail as soon as we saw it. It's very rare to see a Gila monster, but this is the second one we've seen in the few years we've been hiking together.

And here's a not-so-scary desert dog. This is Sunshine, Beth's Wheaton terrier who likes to hike with us.


This is the view from where we saw the rattler.

We like to stop at this shady spot by the creek, although this week the water was pretty low. We haven't had rain in awhile and it's been in the 90s.




Also, the Mexican bird of paradise has burst into bloom here! It's flashy and sassy and big!


I like this quote. I need to remember it when I'm tempted to give my unsolicited opinion.


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Glad you were able to bypass the critters and continue your hike! All kinds of wildlife out there!
Love the meme... I should print that out and post it where I'll see it!

The Idaho Beauty said...

That quotation made me smile - the rattlesnake did not! that Mexican bird of paradise is SO beautiful!