Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, May 20, 2023

"Pink Vase" finished

I just finished my second collaged vase with flowers and I'm really loving the technique!

It's similar to Laura Heine's technique where she cuts out fabric motifs and fuses them to a collaged background using Steam-a-Seam 2. The difference is that I don't draw out a pattern first -- I simply start collaging free form. The Steam-a-Seam allows you to temporarily stick the motifs onto the background and move them around until you're satisfied. Then you iron everything to fuse it permanently.


I used free-motion quilting to further secure the flowers.


Meanwhile, flowers are continuing to put on a show outside. This bush full of red flowers that the hummingbirds and bees love is a Baja fairy duster, and it's right outside my bedroom window.


This giant creamy bloom -- several feet long -- is on the soap tree yucca in my backyard. After a month or so the flowers will fall off, leaving the spiky stalks you can see from last year's blooms. The birds love to perch on top of the spikes and look out over the neighborhood.


The saguaros are flowering all over town with crowns of white blossoms. This one is in Catalina State Park where I hike.


Finally, not flowers but fruit! I'm trying to have healthy snacks.


 Have a colorful day


1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Another lovely composition.