Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, January 25, 2018

New project for the new year


January 2018 in Gig Harbor, WA

I've decided to embark on a color project for 2018, capturing the colors where I live in the Pacific Northwest each month in photographs and then using those colors for a 12-inch-square abstract block each month.

My intention is to get myself back to creating the colorful abstracts that I used to do. I've gotten sidetracked by wool applique based on patterns (which I love and will still do) and home dec projects, but now I'm ready to get back to making original art focusing on my first love, COLOR!

At the end of the year, I'll join them into one large quilt.

The block above is January.


Here are the photos I've taken this month, along with the fabrics I pulled out to go with them. I tried not to let my love of bright colors take precedence over the main colors of the month -- grey, ivory and black.





Here's the whole shebang:


Then I snipped swatches from each fabric, gathered them up and created an abstract impression of the month. I may do another block for January without the grey quilting lines.



Have a colorful day


5 comments:

sonja said...

Sherrie, that is a great idea! A year of creative color driven abstract art from the world about you!!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I like the concept, kind of a challenge of the month project! Also a great way to use up some fabric, right? Looking forward to seeing the blocks as you complete them. I would also love to see a collage of the photos you use as inspiration... you take beautiful pictures!

Robbie said...

What a great idea!!! And it's always good to get away from colors we enjoy/like/use often!!! This will really stretch you and your design work.

The Idaho Beauty said...

What an interesting project for the year. I bet you will see real progress in your abstracts as you go along. I have really enjoyed your January photos and it is so interesting to see the fabrics you pulled arranged around each photo. I still have a terrible time working this way, get too caught up in the photo itself and let it influence too much what the design will be - you know, start to copy the photo rather than let it be inspiration.

Dare I tell you what I see in this? I see a figure at the top left, leaning over and gathering in these bits and piece, the most colorful ones, of course!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Idaho Beauty -- Now that you mention it, the figure jumps right out! I love it! You'll have to analyze every month and see if there's a subconscious story.