Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, January 4, 2018

New Year's LIGHT

Photo taken by my son, Keith, while backpacking last summer
in Glacier Peak Wilderness, WA.

The sun never says to the earth,

"You owe me."

Look what happens

with a love like that.

It lights up the whole sky.

-- Hafiz of Shiraz
    Persian poet, 14th century


This week's morning light over the Puget Sound.

I was turned on to the Persian poet Hafiz by one of my yoga teachers just before the New Year. Joy -- a good name for a yoga teacher -- left us with this quote by him:

I wish I could show you,

when you are lonely

or in the darkness,

the astonishing LIGHT

of your own being.

Sunrise this week behind our house.

And that's the thought I'll leave with you on this, my mother's birthday,
and my first post of the new year.

Have a beautiful day


4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful images, beautiful thoughts... thanks for sharing them!

sonja said...

catching the light is beautiful
words are wondrous
wish you many bright moments in 2018!!

Anonymous said...

i so love the quotes! Thank you Sherrie!

Joy said...

Loving this blog, Sherrie, with your art and words. I am happy Hafiz spoke to you and am grateful for your presence in yoga class. These photos and paintings of light are shining into the rainy day. I am heading to the Wyeth exhibit next week.

Shanti,
Joy