Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, September 4, 2020

Another sizzling weekend


It's shaping up to be another record-setting sizzling weekend. We're predicted to top today's record high of 106 by two degrees, getting up to 108. The rest of the weekend will be almost as hot, with scorching sun and no rain expected.

(Update: It reached 111 degrees today, smashing the record!)


I plan to stay inside with these summer beach reads that I just picked up at the library. Does the desert count as a beach because of all the sand and swimming pools?

If I do run out to Starbucks for an iced drink, I can wear the breezy lightweight tee that I just finished.


I was up by 5 this morning to beat the heat, sipping coffee in my front courtyard before my walk. This was the view of the moon and clouds tinted pink by the sunrise.


This next one is a fiery sunrise from last week ...


... and these next two 
are the photos I was taking ...


...when I nearly stepped on ...




... a rattlesnake!!! 

I was looking through my camera at the sky, side stepping down the street as I clicked away, and when I paused and looked down I was just a few feet from the snake. My heart jumped and so did I. It's a good thing a car wasn't coming, because I leaped backward into the street away from the snake without even looking. It didn't move. Must've been snoozing after a big meal.



Every time I walk I spot unusual desert plants like the one above, but this giant sunflower is from my sister's garden back in Washington.



Have a colorful day


5 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love the rich color of that top! It makes me think of raspberry sherbet which would be nice on one of your record breaking hot days. We'll be in the 90's, not a number we get into often, but there are records to be set in central WA where they will be seeing triple digits too. Stay cool!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Temps have been breaking records here too, but not nearly as high as yours! Even in "normal" weather years I couldn't live there, I would melt for sure! But you do get gorgeous sunsets, and I love the terrain. Great place to winter! ;-) Stay cool...

pkbinns said...

Oh my, a rattlesnake! I would have jumped too! I Love the T-shirt, and of course the color. You’ve inspired me to make one too. Just ordered the pattern.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The locals say this is a record year for rattlesnakes here. I try not to walk in the area outside the yard because there are plenty of rocks for them to hide under. We too have had record heat. the locals are holding a rodeo this weekend. I never thought I was going, but the temp was 102 and the fact that I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of dust kicked up kept me home. Our mountain area has haze caused by the smoke from the fires so I was glad Terry stayed home too because he has COPD. I suspect out hot temps will continue this month. We'll see what October brings.

Stay well,
xx, Carol

Janice Smith said...

Let’s see: Covid-19, quarantine, record setting heat, and now a rattlesnake. . . Yikes,!!! That sounds a bit right for 2020, BUT on the plus side you do have some incredibly beautiful sunrises and sunsets. :-)

Your photo of that green plant would make a stunning wall poster.

Be safe and watch where you are walking. :-)