Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, September 18, 2020

Table runner is done!


I sewed the binding on the table runner today! Now I just have to wait for Covid to go away so I can have some company over. The lantana and bougainvillea are from my yard.

I hope the table can become a family heirloom some day if one of the kids will take it when I kick the bucket. Dave made it out of redwood when the kids were little, almost 30 years ago. It was our outdoor table then, when we lived in El Paso and could use it year round. We had a pool, so there were plenty of wet swimsuits on the waterproof benches and many a birthday party was celebrated there. You can cram a lot of little kids at an eight-foot-long table! Our dog gave it that battered antique look with scratches and bites on the bench ends when he first saw it.

When we moved to Illinois in 1998 it became our dining room table. Since then it's been in the dining room in five more homes and has held many, many, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners and oodles of potlucks.


I used to hand stitch my bindings on the back, but now I do it by machine. The whole thing went so quickly that I can easily see making more in different colors (and still not make a dent in my stash).


And here's a thought to get us through these coronavirus months:


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

sonja said...

so colorful of the autumn tide and good advise! that table has history and good vibesans the the runner is wonderful!! stay well, Sonja

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

It's beautiful, Sherrie! And it goes well with the table and the flowers, a delightful splash of bright cheery color! Here's hoping that before long you will be able to welcome visitors to show it off to!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, I wondered why you would need a 9 ft table runner and now I know. It looks great! And yup, we're gonna make it. Just persevere.

Robbie said...

Love the table runner!!! It looks WONDERFUL on that beautiful table! I can see why you've kept it all these years. It looks perfect in your dining area!!! Perfect...nice job...what a bright and happy table runner!