Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

National Sewing Month


September is National Sewing Month, so here's a roundup of what I'm sewing. I still have absolutely no social activities or friends here because of Covid, so sewing is keeping me sane (sort of). I'm still talking to the walls, so I'm not completely sane.

I just bought this pattern and luscious rayon batik fabric at The Quilter's Market here in Tucson. It has two neckline options, three sleeve options and three lengths. I haven't decided yet which combo I'm making, but I will be adding pockets. The weather here is so warm all year that a breezy, light tee is something I know I'll wear a lot.


I'm also finishing up my envelope quilt. It's bound and labeled, but now I'm adding three-dimensional pockets on some of the envelopes so I can tuck in actual letters.



Here's a closer look at how the pockets are added:



My third sewing project is another tea towel. Like I said before, everyone will be getting tea towels for presents from me because doing the embroidery is so addictive and an easy thing to do in the evening in front of the TV. That splint at the top is for the arthritic thumb.



You could substitute "sewing" for "art" in this quote.


Finally, here is last night's sunset from my porch.


 Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Janice Smith said...

That looks like a great pattern with so many possibilities, and your envelope quilt is so much fun.
By the way, I “borrowed” the M&M mask idea for the opening of my blog post today. :-)
Also, by the way, I, too, start each and every morning even in the dead of winter with an ice coffee with a squirt or two of chocolate syrup. :-)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the pattern! I got something like that several years ago that is a basic jacket pattern... dyed some rayon to make it, then overdyed several years later to add more color. Have fun, and bet you make all 3!
Love the quote, although I remember Woody Allen misquoting it in one of his movies many years ago. And the sunset is gorgeous, as usual! If talking to the walls gets you those sunsets, keep at it! There will come a time when you can talk to people too, and maybe enjoy the quilt stores and the sunsets with friends. Hang in there!
P.S. Your quilt just keeps getting better and better... love the addition of the letter!