Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, September 12, 2020

Change is in the air


No triple digits in the forecast! I was finally able to sit in my back yard and read a bit this week. Finally! Normally it's too hot back there, even in the shade, but this week it was actually pleasant.


While back there, I noticed these little things that had fallen from the trees in our latest wind storm. They remind me of the acorn caps back in the Midwest. Does anyone know what they are?


Despite the relief from the heat, we've been having hazy skies from the California wildfire smoke. The sun has been an eerie red in the early morning and near sunset.





Another first since I moved here was eating at a shady outdoor cafe. Again, it's normally too hot by lunchtime to be outside. I got a sandwich at a bakery/cafe, and while waiting in line I saw this Southwest sunset cake in the cooler! Pretty cool. Besides the sandwich, I got a peanut butter brownie that was divine.



Add for a little humor, this is how I feel most days:


Have a colorful day!

5 comments:

Robbie said...

Next, we'll hear you are wearing a sweater because it's only 70 degrees! HA Glad you are getting some relief! I just finished reading a book by Marie Benedict, 'Only Woman in the Room' about Heddy Lamar! Really interesting...if fact, I've ordered from the library two of her other books...they are so good! Enjoy your weather relief! Beautiful pictures too!

sonja said...

those bell like plant parts look like eucalyptus parts to me.
that cat is me! glad you have a cooling trend and you actually have places to wear those new tee shirt tops you made recently .Were as i am still mending some old cool tops with out sleeves!
cool cacti cake!! Stay well!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm so glad to here it's cooling a little down there too! We've actually had the heat on a couple of mornings! And what a treat to be able to eat out for a change! Were there other people there too? Wow!
Looking at your mystery 'caps', I'm wondering if you have palm trees nearby with spent blooms... there are so many different trees and shrubs down there, you might see some of these still attached. Meanwhile, my "mixed media" self looks at them wondering how they could be used!
Love the cat meme... it needs to go chase some mice to work off that covid belly! ;-)

Lynda said...

Sherrie, So glad you are getting some relief! Love the cat meme. Yep, that about sums it up.

Look forward to catching up with you and Judy this week.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We have a trees that shed acorn looking caps and their leaves look like holly leaves and hurt just as much when they fall. I hate those trees especially the one in the back yard. Though it does give shade, my grandson says he will cut it down. It will make the back porch a more pleasant place to be. You and I are learning about our new homes and how the temps will change with the seasons. Right now we are 90s in the day and 50s at night. No complaints from me.
xx, Carol