Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

A little lushness

 

I'll say it again -- people who think the desert is just brown have never been to Tucson. The Sonoran Desert here in the Southwest is the lushest desert in the world. Its biseasonal rainfall pattern (summer and winter in normal years) results in more plant species than any other desert on the planet.

Above is a shot from my hike this morning in the desert foothills below Pusch Ridge. Below is another shot from that hike, of a deer grazing in the greenery.

Next, step into my backyard. Granted, it's on a drip irrigation system, but these drought-resistant plants still don't get much water.

This is the view from my computer table. The soap tree yucca in the middle has sprouted a stalk and I'm eager to watch its flowers open. It didn't do this last spring.

Here's a closeup of the flowering bush just outside the window. I think it's called a Summertime Blue. The butterflies and hummingbirds love it.


This red flowering Fairy Duster is a favorite of hummingbirds and bees.

I hope this little bit of color

made you smile,

because ...

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful, Sherrie! I'm so glad you are able to get out and enjoy all the beautiful scenery there! Thanks for sharing, and I'm smiling!

Robbie said...

I love AZ....yes, it can get 'warm'...ok HOT but...the beauty out weighs that negative. So glad you are taking advantage of the beauty around you!

Lynda said...

Lovely!!