Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, May 15, 2021

Stitching, stitching


I pulled out my wool applique blocks that I started three years ago and had put away because of my arthritic thumbs that ached when I stitched. I decided to sew whether it hurts or not because it's getting too hot to spend as much time outside now. (It hit 100 for the first time this year a few days ago.)

Note: The blocks are from Sue Spargo's "Fresh Cut" pattern.

Some of the stitches, like the white French knots, remind me of white buds on the cactuses.


And the overall impression of this stitched flower looks sort of like the flower below that I photographed at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum!

The long rick rack stem ...


... could be turned into a tall saguaro.

I have 11 blocks started, and it's hard to decide when to stop embellishing them with embroidery and beads. I think my thumbs will let me know when they're done.

I'm also still quilting my desert quilt, which is slow going because it's so cumbersome to get under the machine. But I really love the colors, so I'll keep working on it a little every day.


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

It's good to see your wool applique work again... hope you can do it in small sessions to keep your thumbs happy. And your quilt is lovely! Good to have projects to work on inside. I learned to play solitaire as a kid when it was too hot to go outdoors in the summer.... still one of my favorite things to do! Stay cool...

Marybeth said...

Are the blocks from a kit? Can I find them on line somewhere? I love the two pictures you posted!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Marybeth, the flower blocks are from Sue Spargo's "Fresh Cut" pattern, which you can find online.

Robbie said...

Your flower blocks are wonderful!!!! As is your workmanship!!! Just lovely pieces!!! 100 degrees!!! Yikes! And I complain when the temp hits highs in the 70's! But you have lots of things to keep you occupied inside and so do I when it gets too hot for me...just like in the winter, you stay inside with the heat on...in the summer we stay inside with the air on! HA