Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The view from behind


I think that photos taken from behind the subject are as interesting as those taken from the front -- and sometimes more interesting! So I've gathered some of my favorites from recent years.

These first two show my hiking friends from Gig Harbor, WA, above, and from Tucson, below. Quite a contrast in terrain and skies! I'm forever falling behind because I'm taking pictures.


Hats also look great from behind:


Tere, me, Beth, Tucson Mountains.



Linda, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.



My daughter, Julia, and Mt. Rainier, Gig Harbor.


Catalina State Park, Oro Valley (by Tucson).


I like that when taken from behind, the photo shows what the subject is seeing:

Barb and Beth, Tucson Mountains.


Me, Honeybee Canyon, Oro Valley.

Paula and me, Sedona.


Me, Sedona.

Sometimes I just sneak a shot from behind. If I don't sneak, people always want me to get their front instead of their back.

My sister Kathleen, Dungeness Spit, Sequim, WA.

Kandi, Nancy, Joyce, West Seattle.


Nancy, Joyce, Kandi, Chambers Bay, WA.


Me, Kandi, Nancy, Bloedell Reserve, WA.

Julia and Jade, Spokane.


Joyce, Washington coast.


Julia, Spokane.

I like to take pictures of people looking at art in museums. I had to convince friends to take these "behind" photos of me. I'd rather have my photo taken from the back.


Me, Seattle Art Museum.


Me, Tacoma Art Museum.



Me with my son, Tucson's Museum of Glass. I had to give our companion specific instructions for taking this picture of us. 


Julia gets the value of photos from behind, especially when they highlight her bunnies. She took these two without prompting.


Photos from behind can show off cool hair styles! This is Julia's twist:

Parting shot: On today's hike we alerted this photographer to the bobcat in the bushes. Can you spot it?


I hope this post gave you a different perspective!

Have a colorful day

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So cool Señorita Sherrie! Loved that perspective. 😍 Tere

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I prefer your photos to the typical "selfies" most people take these days. And it took awhile to see the bobcat, yikes!

Marybeth said...

I love the pictures and I agree with Judy. Selfies are kinda boring. I love to see all the places you have been.

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Agree some of my fav pics are from behind. Thanks for sharing!

Lynda said...

Sherrie, Interesting! Really like that perspective.

Robbie said...

WOW...what a great idea on taking pics..my hubby is always criticising my picture taking...I love this method...you do get such a different perspective don't you! I have to show him some of your pics. They're wonderful!