Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Another desert quilt

 

A friend from Washington who bought a winter home in Phoenix has commissioned a desert quilt like the one I made for myself, but she's not a pink and purple gal so hers will have more blues and desert tans and golds. (It's from a pattern by my local quilt shop, Cactus Quilts.)

My quilt is the top three rows. The bottom two rows are the beginning of hers, but I still have to add a pop of flowers and some Kokopelli jewelry. I'm really having fun working on it!

Here is her roadrunner, who is going to be trailed by blue quail. Kandi loves blue.

I'm using a machine blanket stitch to appliqué the prickly pear cacti. The second photo is the back, which shows the stitching better. In fact, I really like the back! I could see making a whole quilt with just a blanket stitch outlining designs on one piece of fabric.

I'm also working on more spirit dolls. Here are some of them hanging in Absolutely Art Gallery & Gifts. The owner still has to print up a proper sign. I don't think any have sold yet, but another friend just commissioned a bunch for Christmas presents! Woo hoo!!! Thank you, Dawn!

Last night we had clouds and a little rain. I watched the clouds drift across the almost full moon from my back patio. It's still in the 90s during the day, but it was pleasant last evening in the 70s.


Have  colorful day

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Busy Busy!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, how fun! I love that quilt pattern! Looking forward to seeing your friend's quilt when it's finished. And congrats on your order for Spirit dolls, I'm sure they will make lovely gifts. Sounds like you are going to be a busy gal with lots of things to keep you busy while you wait for the weather to cool off enough to hike!

Lynda said...

Love the colors on her quilt. She's going to be so happy with it! Love the spirit doll display and great to hear you've got an order for more. Yipee!!