Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Happy Fall: Southwest and Northwest!



Happy Fall from Tucson, where it's supposed to reach 99 degrees this first day of autumn. It hardly seems like fall, but I guess I'll discover the desert's own autumn treats. I'm looking forward to cooler days which will feel like summer in most parts of the country but will be winter here!


The photo above is the view from my courtyard chair this first day of fall in the desert -- blue skies, 75 degrees, mosquitoes already eating me and chasing me inside.

The view below is from the first day of fall 10 years ago, when my (ex)husband and I were on vacation in the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest. We had hiked to the top of a mountain and were looking out over the islands toward Canada.


Here are a few more "fall" photos from the desert near my house this week:




I watched Monday's Harvest Moon rise over Pusch Ridge from my back patio. It wasn't orange, probably because it was higher in the sky than when it first rose over the lower horizon. It's called the Harvest Moon because in the days before electric lights, the full September moon lighted the fields enough for crops to be harvested well after sunset.

From the desert, we go back to the San Juans on a beautiful crisp first day of fall:

We kayaked on a lake on Orcas Island. The water was so, so blue.

We took a ferry over to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island to do tourist activities like the Whale Museum and coffee shops. (Always coffee shops in the Northwest, everywhere you look.)

The day we left was foggy. Can you see the mast of a boat on the left poking up out of the mist?

And a fall poem by Mary Oliver:


To make this sewing related, I just made a coffee cozy with bunny fabric for a French press. It's a present for someone, but I don't think he reads my blog so I'm posting it. It will keep his coffee hot on cold fall days up north where he lives.

Here is an old photo of some of my daughter's bunnies, who have since passed away but will live on forever in our memories and photos. Don't they look so soft and cozy? They loved to cuddle.

Happy Fall



2 comments:

sonja said...

lovely photos, new and older.
harvest moon, de light full and full!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Happy Autumn! It's getting cooler here, and a few leaves are already turning fall colors. Our skies are bright blue, and the Harvest moon has been shining brightly.
I love the bunny cozy, and of course the sweet bunny picture... they do look so sweet and cuddly!
Sorry you're being tormented by the mosquitoes... seems to be a real issue this year with all the rains we have had!