Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, September 10, 2021

Dressing for the desert heat

 

Before I moved to Tucson from the Northwest, my wardrobe consisted of long black yoga pants and fleece hoodies most of the year. Not anymore!!!

I've found some new uniforms to keep me comfortable in the desert heat: 

1. Adjustable colorful wrap skirts by Rip Skirt Hawaii

2. Short and long loose sleeveless dresses by Lands End.

3. Wide-brimmed hats to shade my face from the sun, which is out 284 days a year on average.

I love, love, love the fun colorful prints on Rip Skirt's wrap skirts. Velcro closures make them adjustable, so after a big meal I can loosen them. They come in four lengths, from mini to ankle length. The one at the top of the blog is a mini, and the next two come just above the knee. And they have two kicky gussets in the back for some flare.

This blue print is calming, while the first two are more exciting.

My other go-to styles, which I live in when I'm at home, are the loose sleeveless dresses from Lands End. (I bought them all on sale, of course.) This splashy red and purple print is my favorite, and I've worn it all day at home, shopping, traveling and to restaurants. These dresses are sold as swim suit coverups, but I use them for everything but that. The side slits were too short for my comfort level, so I sewed them shut a few more inches.


This navy one may seem sedate for Sherrie Loves Color, but I can wear it with some fun long necklaces, which I do when I go out.

And just for a change, I bought one devoid of color except for black and white (because it was on sale).

These next two come above the knee and are especially cool for running errands when it's 105 degrees or just walking at 6:30 in the morning when it's already pushing 80. All the Lands End dresses have side pockets, which are really useful.


A major thing I like about these dresses is that there's nothing constricting around my waist. Since I'm an apple shape, waistbands are always too tight. (Except when they're adjustable like the Rip Skirts.)


And any Tucson girl worth her salt has a few wide-brimmed hats to protect against our wonderful sun. I can't imagine ever wearing these back in the rainy Northwest, but here they fit right in.



Last but not least, I've discovered Soma's sleep dresses, which are cool, comfy, and pretty enough to wear all day, which I have done many a day.

Well, this isn't a quilting post but it is all about fabric and color!!!


Have a comfortable day

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Oh my gosh!!!! Your clothes selection is adorable!!!! I can see where they would be comfortable but yet so darn cute on!!!! You could talk me into looking into these types of clothes!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Comfort is #1 on my list of requirements when it comes to clothing, and you nailed it with these! But of course, having bright cheery colors and patterns is right up there as well. And I do love your hats - very stylish, and as you mentioned, totally needed when one lives where you do. I'd say you have done a very good job of shedding your yoga pants and sweatshirts in favor of desert chic! ;-)

Lynda said...

Sherrie, I love this post!! I also bought that same ripskirt (the second one) but haven't worn it yet. I was hoping to wear in Hawaii if that day ever comes when Covid leaves. Such colorful clothing. I'm not big on wearing anything sleeveless these days, but they really look good on you. I do need a new sleep shirt so I think I'll need to check those out. Fun post.

Janice Smith said...

Love your colorful wardrobe for life in the desert heat!!! The hats are fun, too. :-)