Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Notes from the desert


As my friend Judy from Flagstaff said,
"Two out of three ain't bad."


I'm still unpacking, and the sewing room is a jumble of boxes, but I did arrange most of my fabric on these shelves in the living room. 


I've started walking early every morning to beat the heat and came across the intersection of Desert Sky and Heavenly Sky! I wish I had that address. Here's the heavenly desert sky from my front courtyard:


I'm also loving the desert plants, like this big prickly pear that covers the front corner of my house. The hummingbirds have been hanging out around the blossoms.


This yucca is in my back yard and I think it's glorious!


Here are some photos from my walk this morning, about half a mile from the house. It's not at all like the gentle flowers that filled my walks back in Gig Harbor, but the desert has always called to me more than any other environment. I finally feel like I'm home here, as hot and harsh as it may be.




Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Robbie said...

I love the landscape!!!! It is beautiful!!! The west has always called to me too...not sure why hubby never felt the same way! Love the Art books and chocolate are for me too! HA

Donna said...

You capture such beautiful skies and plants! I still miss Gig Harbor flowers and foliage and would not want to live in the desert but I'm glad you are settling in and making your new home come alive with color. Have a great day!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the Prickly pear! I have an art quilt of one next to my desk that I made in 2009, so I feel like I'm in your yard when I look at it now. And I painted a picture of a Yucca eons ago that has since disappeared, but I always loved it and love that you have one in your yard. Seeing the beautiful sky photo makes me wonder what Monsoon season will be like down there. That's when the beautiful cloud formations really make the sunrises and sunsets glorious. Enjoy every minute, my friend! You have waited long enough for it!