Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Tackling the quilts


After putting it off for weeks, I finally decided yesterday to get my quilts out of the moving boxes and back onto their pool noodles on the storage rack.


It got worse before it got better, with quilts piled all over the floor while I decided how to group them on the noodles. I roll about six on each noodle, right side out so they don't wrinkle. I write their names on an index card that gets slipped under one of the fabric ties that holds the roll together.


I really like most of them, but some of the old ones from 30 years ago are just blah and I don't know what to do with them. I decided to fold them up and pile them on top of the rack for now.


Here are some of my old friends, who I haven't visited in awhile.


About 20 years ago I bought some batik fabric with purple people on it and that started a series of Purple People quilts. This first one is "The Purple People Celebrate Summer," from 2000.


The next one, which was accepted somehow into the big quilt festival in Houston, is "The Purple People Come Out to Play."


I cut out different shapes from the top rainbow fabric, faced the openings with black and let the facing roll forward so it's visible, inserted yellow fabric into the holes, and had the purple people climbing out.


Then I went through a Petroglyph People phase where I made petroglyph stamps out of foam trays and sponges.


Then I went through a brief silk organza phase, where I hand-painted the transparent silk and made sheer quilts.



Then I started a fragments phase, which I'm still in sometimes.


And here is "Big Blowsy Flowers," which I made because I wanted a quilt with big splashy flowers. It made it into the AQS show in Paducah ages ago and then went into the closet, but now I've decided to hang it in the guest room.


I finally got everything rolled up and labeled ...


... and onto the rack in the sewing room.


Then it was time for a colorful lunch.


And then the mailman delivered a package from Julia with these colorful presents (mostly chocolate)! 


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

What a great way to store your quilts. I did something similar a few year ago, but what with taking some quilts out for shows, it definitely needs a do-ever. I love your purple people quilts!

Lynda said...

Sherrie,

Love seeing all your different work. I recently went through stuff, but unlike all of your quilts it was just pieces of fabric, but it was really fun to see all the different surface design techniques I've done over the years. Some of them I still love; some of the pieces I put in the new "dye over" bag, and then some got pitched. But it was like a journal of my art, as they are for you. Anyway, love seeing how you are settling in. Can't wait to see how your art evolves.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love seeing your work, and the purple people series is a delight! I've only seen the one on your heading, which I love. Wonder if you could figure a way to suspend some of your quilts from the ceiling? You have high ceilings in the living room, right? You could have your very own exhibit! Anyway, glad to see you are making such good progress. By the way, have the quilt shops opened down there? Things are starting to slowly open up here... fingers crossed it's not too soon.

Robbie said...

Love seeing your work, old or new!!! Those old quilts could be cut up for little bags, totes, triangle bags, etc. I started doing that a few years ago when my friend started cutting up her older quilts! I was shocked she would cut them up but then understood...what's the purpose of keeping them to take up space. Some make great fiber cards too!!!! Enjoy your chocolate!!!! YUM...how nice to get a present in the mail!