Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Sewing again!


Cutting table is right inside the front door. Why not?

I FINALLY got back to sewing this week, after almost three months of having my sewing room packed up for the move. It was the last room I unpacked because I knew it would take a lot of thought to find places for everything, and I ended up spreading it out over three rooms of my new house.


Machine, ironing table, design wall,
books and beads are in a bedroom.

Fabric is on shelves in living room.

My first project in the new space was colorful masks for my daughter, who has to wear them all day for her job at Trader Joe's. I gave away all of my elastic when I was packing because I hadn't used it in so long, then the virus exploded and I wished I had kept it for masks. Instead, I cut up an old T-shirt for stretchy ties. Later, I decided to convert them to ear loops. I used produce bag twist ties for the nose pieces.


When I was unpacking, I discovered some white dish towels that I had planned to embroider many years ago, so I started on one to use as a gift. The arthritis in my thumb still hurts a lot, so I only hand stitch a little at a time.


I also set up a little area in the cutting table room where I can look at decades of old photos, which are in about 20 boxes. I can see spending many hours there on winter evenings, although I've already spent quite a bit of time in the rocking chair reminiscing with 30-year-old photos.


The other exciting news here is that I got a bougainvillea! Hot pink! I've always wanted bougainvillea but never lived anywhere before where it would grow. I moved my TV/embroidery chair so that I can see it when I sit there.

We've just entered a weeklong stretch of days above 100 degrees, so I'll be spending more time in that chair in the air conditioning (paid for by the solar panels on the roof) and less time outside.


 Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love it! You live in your sewing room! How perfect is that? And I love Bougainvillea too... had one in CA until the wind blew it off the wall. Enjoy! And that's great that you have the solar to keep you cool... couldn't be a better place for it, plenty of sun and heat! Stay cool, and enjoy all your sewing projects!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yeah for getting all set up! And yeah for solar panels!!! Do you know those commercials for manufactured houses, with the girlfriend coming over to see it and exclaiming, "You didn't buy a house. You bought a HOME!" Well, Sherrie, I'd have to say, you didn't buy a house, you bought a mega studio! :-)