Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Color to the rescue!



I finally finished the circle quilting, so now it's on to hand stitching the pink binding to the back of my wool quilt and then it will be done!


That means I had to dig out some more colorful projects, because the grey and rain is already upon us. Where has summer gone?


I went back to my wool needle roll, which I'd been trying to save for a trip later on this month. But I desperately need some more color, so I started stitching it this week.


It's amazing how surrounding myself with colors I love is a lifeline. Just looking at these purple, orange and turquoise embroidery threads, the bright green needle holder and the fruit-colored coiled basket lifts my spirits. I don't understand how people can fill their homes with grey and beige and black.


I pick my coffee cup color every morning to suit my mood. I can use the darker blue mug if it's really sunny outside, but grey days demand an orange or yellow cup.


I even get a boost from looking at the green of my scissors handles and the bright colors in my button box!



And as an emergency color backup, I pulled out this pile of pink-orange-purple silks. It is sitting on the floor of my studio to inspire me for the next big quilt.


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I just love how that quilt is finishing up. The pink binding is the perfect ending.

At least you know what can literally brighten your day and what to surround yourself with. I often find myself choosing what I will wear by color and pattern that fits my mood. Maybe on those more somber mood days I should be picking Sherrie colors. :-)

A delightful post and so fun seeing all the little ways you surround yourself with color. Remembering my stay with you, opening the cupboards looking for a mug for my morning coffee to see a fiesta going on in there. All those bright colors - that"ll wake you up and put a smile on your face!

Susan Sawatzky said...

One beautiful piece Sherrie. I'd like to get in touch in case you come up toward Port Townsend one day. I have questions about living in Gig Harbor.

Susan Sawatzky
friend of Idaho Beauty
and reader of your blog

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I do love to see all the beautiful colors you are bringing to your work! I don't blame you for doing what you can to brighten up your surroundings. It would be very hard for me to live in an area with so much grey and overcast, so it's good to know you have found ways to cope with the weather. Thank you for sharing all your beautiful work!