Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Death by (free-motion) circles


After a month of big-stitch hand quilting on my wool applique squares, I didn't want to spend another month hand quilting the borders because I'm eager to get it done. So I decided to free-motion quilt the borders in circles, even though I hate doing free-motion quilting because it hurts my arms.


I use the gloves with the grippy fingers, which makes it somewhat bearable, but I still can't stand to do it for more than about 15 minutes at a time. In contrast, I thoroughly enjoyed each stitch of the seed stitch quilting with size 12 pink perle cotton and a big needle. That was meditative, but these circles are hell!


I guess it's fitting that I'm doing this over the Labor Day Weekend, because it certainly is laborious.

Have a colorful weekend


6 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh Sherrie, you've put a smile on my face this morning with that title. I can manage longer at the machine than you (well not right now) but have to agree, it can be hell! Labor on - those circles look great!

sonja said...

Sherrie, have you tried the supreme slider sheet that Pat LaPierre developed?I had a booth beside her at a Quilt Hawaii show up on the big Island years ago and as we packed up she gave me her demo one. I use a queen size one now when i remember to use it as i have a Plexiglas table made by David that also works for small items/ quilts when i free motion. (besides sitting too long does not work for me either). I love those circles too!

Robbie said...

Your circles look great. I wear braces on both my hands when I quilt..all of it hurts doesn't it...but we won't give up!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love how it looks! I've only done pretty much free-form free motion sewing, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. I think if I was trying to create a specific shape it would probably make my shoulders hurt with the tension. I do love your hand stitching.. I'm trying to put together some small portable projects to get me back in to hand work, and your projects are always so inspiring!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh they are such beautifully perfect circles!!. I have never done the seed stitch quilting, but maybe I'll give that a try. Such simple mindless stitching.
xx, Carol

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

The circles work perfectly!