Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Beth's wedding quilt

 
I just made a little commissioned quilt (10" x 13") for a friend to give to her son and daughter in law for their wedding. It's full of symbolism special to them -- the mountains where they love to ski, the desert where they married, petroglyph figures because they love anything Native American, and two feathers joined up in the sky to symbolize their union and because they sky dived to their wedding!

I painted the whole thing with transparent Setacolor fabric paints, except that I used Lumiere metallic pearlescent for the mountains and snow. I thought I'd show you how I did that.

I started by cutting a mountain shape out of a compressed sponge, which you can get at craft stores. The photo above shows how skinny it is.

After you cut out your shape,  you wet it and it puffs up and can be used like a stamp. I patted it in the Lumiere paint ...


... and pressed it onto the fabric. I stamped it repeatedly for the effect of overlapping peaks.




Silver beads spiral out from the moon:


Here you can see some of the stamped figures:


And speaking of the desert, today I got an annual state parks pass and hiked in Catalina State Park, near where the fire was this summer. It was a gorgeous day, with temps in the 60s and sunshine. The air felt crisp and I got in some good exercise and took a lot of photos. THIS is why I moved here! I just had to get through that summer heat to arrive at this point.


A majestic saguaro cactus lifts its arms to the sky. These giants of the desert can live for 200 years and grow taller than 50 feet.


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, how lovely your quilt is! I'm assuming this is on hand painted fabrics, right? And your symbolism is perfect for the couple it is for.
Great demo on the peaks.
I'm so glad you are now able to do your hikes and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings now... enjoy every minute!

Lynda said...

Sherrie, Love the art quilt. I'm sure the couple will cherish it for years. Thanks for showing how you got those mountains. Love your stitching and everything. Glad you were able to get out and hike.

Robbie said...

wow...this gift quilt turned out lovely!!!! Clever you! So glad you're still getting out and about with that beautiful weather!!! Enjoy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thoroughly impressed with your wedding commission piece. Plus happy for you that the temps have dropped and you can really enjoy getting out and hiking.