Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, November 2, 2020

This and that

 

Nothing big is going on here, so I thought I'd just pick some random photos from the last few days. The palm trees are in the parking lot of Barnes & Noble. I'm elated to be living somewhere that has palm trees! And the book store finally put back its tables in the cafe and reading chairs.

The sunsets continue to be spectacular. This is the view from my front door. I feel lucky.


This view over Oro Valley is from the Linda Vista Trail in the Catalina Mountains, only half mile from my house. I hiked it yesterday for my very first Meetup.com activity. The other hikers were super friendly, but they were all in better shape than me and kept up a pretty snappy pace as we clambered over big rocks and gained elevation. It was definitely a challenge for me to keep up, but I made it! And at least I didn't have a "cactus incident," like two of them had. They got stuck by cactus needles through their clothes and had to pull them out with tweezers.

I also had my first outing with my first Tucson friend, the woman who cuts my hair. I guess that IS big news! We went to a Haunted Yard that's put on every year by some friends of hers and benefits the food pantry. I let out a few yells when characters that I thought were fake suddenly jumped out at us.

This eerie sunset picture with dead branches and flames is from their yard. 

My friend Paula sent this colorful Day of the Dead card. I'm embracing the colors and culture of Mexico since moving here.

And I made a few more tarot deck bags for my Etsy shop, which I just opened yesterday:

sherrielovescolor.etsy.com.

So far I've only listed the bags, but as soon as I dig out some small art quilts and photograph them I'll put them in the shop.

I have no idea if I'll sell even one thing, but it's keeping me busy. For this earthy bag, I started with a dark green batik and brushed on gold fabric paint. The ties are silk ribbon.



Have a colorful day



2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm so happy to hear you are venturing out, and have made a friend! More to come, I'm sure! And I love your shop, and will be plugging it for you on facebook! Can't wait to see what else you list there!

JudyC said...

Great to hear that you are finally connecting with people. You sound very 😊