Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Playing with sunset colors



Since I got back from the Grand Canyon, I've been itching to do a quilt with those colors. I was going to paint my own fabric, then I found this yardage in my stash. I can't even remember buying it but it's perfect.


I cut it on the diagonal into quadrants and like that effect, but now I'm stumped. 

I pulled out more fabric that goes with it, but nothing grabs me. I think I'll have to let it percolate for awhile. And should I make it a rectangle or square? Vertical or horizontal? The colors are more muted than what I would have painted, so that makes it a little hard for me to continue. How will I quilt it? Will quilting ruin it?



For a mental rest I also started an orange bowl with dashes of turquoise, inspired by my trip to Gallup for the pow wow and all of the turquoise jewelry and orange sunsets.

And the weather is finally cooling off enough (by that I mean dipping into the 90s for highs) to go to my first outdoor concert of the season. Catalina State Park hosts Music Under the Mountains once a month starting at 6 p.m. and going through sunset. This group, whose name I forget, was really good and their songs told great stories of the Southwest, Mexico and long friendships.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the colors in your fabrics! I'm sure the inspiration for your quilt will come. Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing your bowl when it's done!

Lynda Heines said...

Oh my! Love the colors and the bowl. How yummy!