Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, February 1, 2021

Eight-week challenge project


Lynda Heines has started a February-March challenge where participants will share their progress every week on a project of their own choice. I decided to pull out these three pieces that I started many years ago and to finish them.

I'm pretty happy with how they look now, but I have to decide whether to quilt them, stretch them over frames, mount them on larger pieces of fabric, or ???? Right now they're just embroidered and beaded appliqués on a single layer of cloth. They've been rolled up in storage for ages because I couldn't decide how to finish them.

Here are some closeups:




Here's the link to Lynda's invitation:  

join-us-for-feb-march-challenge

And here's the link to her post showing what she'll be working on:

feb-march-challenge-week-1


I'm also linking to Nina-Marie's Off-the-Wall Friday at how-to-title-quilt-on-off-wall-friday.html. She has a good post today about titling our work.


Have a colorful day




6 comments:

Lynda said...

Sherrie, Thanks for joining the challenge and mentioning it in this post. Love these pieces! Whatever you decide will be perfect.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sherrie, these are gorgeous pieces! I think however you decide to finish them, they will be stunning!

Robbie said...

So glad you put the closeup pics! I couldn't figure out what you did! They are very, very stunning!! Hard choice to decide...minimal free motion would be good but not a lot of stitching, at least that's my thought. You don't want to detract from your design(s)! So nice you're finishing projects! I'm just starting too many of them! HA

Luann Fischer said...

Sherrie, I’m looking forward to what your decisions are. They’re very lovely pieces already.

The Idaho Beauty said...

These are gorgeous in every way - definitely need to be finished up. How similar are they in size. I immediately envisioned them one of the other in a banner-like wall hanging, a contrasting fabric used to join/sash/border them. Some echo quilting would set the designs off perfectly I think.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Love how your embroidery and beading add contrast and draw the eye to central motif. Well worth bringing out of the UFO closet and into the light.