Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, February 8, 2021

Feb./March Challenge Week 2


I added hand-painted borders this past week to my piece for the February-March Challenge. I decided to do minimal quilting because I don't want to distract from the painted blue background. I started quilting very close to the beads with a zipper foot and it worked great until I came to an inner corner, then the foot got hung up on the beads. So I picked the stitches out and just quilted along the border seams.



I'd like to do some embroidery and beading along the border, but I don't think my thumb could take it. The arthritis is getting really bad and nothing has helped. I think I need surgery, but I don't want to do that right now.


I did this embellishing many years ago when my thumb didn't hurt nearly as much.


In other news, we had glorious weather last week and I took some pictures in my back yard while I was weeding.


I love the natural look of the landscaping. And those grapefruits on my neighbor's tree are still a novelty for me. This is the first time I've lived where people have citrus trees in their yards! When I go for walks I pass so many orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit trees. I even saw  kumquats.



Today's sunset photo comes from inside my sewing room while I'm sitting at my machine. I love it!


I'm linking to Lynda Heines' blog for the Feb./March Challenge: feb-march-challenge-week-2

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I like the simplicity of how you framed your beaded panel, it spotlights your hand work nicely. I'm sorry to hear your thumb is getting worse... sure wish there was more that could be done to relieve the pain!
Thank you for sharing your lovely yard pix... I really like the natural look of the plants growing there, and of course, your sunsets are fabulous!

Lynda said...

Sherrie, So glad you are participating in this challenge. I really love that piece. I am so sorry your thumb won't allow you to continue your beautiful hand work. Darn! Love the pictures. I know how I was amazed at the orange tree in my friend's yard when she lived there.

Robbie said...

Really turned out nice with that border! I agree...you don't want to take away from the applique with busy quilting! Nicely done!!! Love the view from your sewing table!