Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Fun and sun at Tucson Botanical Gardens


The first thing I noticed on my visit yesterday to the Tucson Botanical Gardens were the dozens of white cups capping the tips of the cacti. They were protecting them from our recent below freezing temperatures at night.

The next thing was the really fun exhibit of a "cactus car" and "food truck."


The cactus car is an old VW Bug literally sprouting cacti!


Even the tire rims are adorned with plants.

The food truck is a 1955 vintage truck attached to a former World War II ammunition trailer that has veggies growing from straw bales under grow lights.



It even has a menu listing the 29 edibles growing inside, everything from artichokes and arugula to snow peas and winter savory.




Also in the gardens are citrus trees, including this sour orange one. Sour orange trees have been used in Tucson landscaping for more than 100 years according to the sign. The sour or bitter fruit is perfect for making marmalade.


And of course there are flowers in February due to our sunny warm winters in Tucson.



I sat for quite awhile on a bench enjoying the verdant view below, listening to birds, feeling the sun.


Back home I have my own flowers -- a double dozen tulips from Trader Joe's!

Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What a fun exhibit! I love the edibles truck... how clever! And your Tulips are gorgeous! Usually by now, mine have started to show, but this year nothing has popped up yet - too cold! Bet it was nice just sitting enjoying the warm temps and view... aah!

Lynda said...

Sherrie, I would love that place. Love the VW bug and the food truck. Reminds me that Spring is coming!

Donna said...

When you first announced you were moving, I thought there would not be such luscious, varied colors in your new home. You have an eye for seeking them out, however. Your eye for finding great colors has risen to the challenge of a desert setting and your photos are delightful. I might enjoy winter there but the heat would be too much for me in other months. It is a welcome change from the cold, snowy weather here in Massachusetts. I am challenged to look for color in my environment now!

Robbie said...

Now this is a cool post!!! Did I miss something...so could you pick veggies from that truck?? That is really interesting and what a great way to retain a relic/antique and make good use of it!!! Love the cactus growing out of the car!!!!! Who would have thought!!!