Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, July 16, 2021

A new desert quilt

 

My latest desert quilt is from a set of row-by-row patterns for Cactus Quilts in Tucson. Here are the first two; the third one is dancing Kokopellis, but I haven't started that yet. 


The pattern shows grey and brown birds, but I don't do grey and brown. So I made an orange and pink road runner and a purple quail family.



I still have to add stitching and some other details.


I found the perfect striped green fabric in my stash for the saguaro cactuses.


Here's another pattern that looks like fun:

Finally, this has nothing to do with quilting but my daughter-in-law just posted this photo of my son, who has a huge garden this year in Wisconsin. Go Keith!


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love the colors you are working into the row quilt. And I can relate to your proud son and his swiss chard. When I had a vegetable garden in Tacoma, my head lettuce did particularly well and I have a pick of me holding one of the huge heads!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the quilt, and your colors for the birds are perfect!
Your son must have the garden gene... and probably the right
climate for growing too!

Lynda said...

This quilt is way cute! Can't wait to see the last panel. And your son's chard. OMG! That's amazing.

Robbie said...

Wow...love the row by row! That is really clever...the 'bums' should be good too!! HA Can't believe the size of the swiss chard!!! He is a gardner isn't he!