Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, July 23, 2021

Desert quilt and monsoon



I made the third row for my desert quilt, the one on top with dancing Kokopellis, then I decided that the orange background doesn't work with the other rows. I wanted it to look like a sunset, but it's too overpowering.

So I'm working on a new row that I think is better. I'll make the prickly pear cactuses out of the green fabric.


In other news, the summer monsoon season is in full swing, with up to four inches of rain falling in the past day in parts of Tucson. My backyard has some ponding ...



... and a lot of debris that I'll have to clean up.



I also woke up to no internet, horrors! I couldn't have my usual morning routine of sipping coffee while perusing my email, Instagram, Facebook, the weather and the news. Luckily, it came back in a few hours.

With the muggy monsoon weather I've been spending way more time inside, leading to things like this mountain of chocolate chip espresso cookies that I made a few days ago. Boredom breeds bad habits. But basically, I'm extremely grateful for the much needed rain and that I haven't lost power yet, which would mean no air conditioning and 100 degrees.

Check out Nina-Marie's blog to see what other fabric artists have been working on this week: /


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Sharon Kwilter said...

That's a really neat quilt.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

My aunt lived in Tucson. I would visit her every other year or so. Your quilt and talk of mansons bring back fond memories. Every row is iconic Tucson.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the quilt, and I think you're right... that orange is a bit heavy, but the lighter background works great. So glad you're getting rains and hopefully lower temps. I've noticed on the weather forecast that you have cooler temps, and that has to be a relief! As for the cookies... oh, my. I'm glad I don't have the baking gene, I would be in serious trouble!
So I saw the branch laying near the tree, and I'm sure you know what I was thinking... hmmmm! Maybe a Spirit doll? with scraps from the quilt for her garb? Love the bark! Have fun... ;-)

Robbie said...

Well, you know I'm all about the food! Cookies look GREAT!!! Your row by row is cool!!!! Good you are having rain but I certainly can see the concern if no electricity or internet!!! Be safe! And keep that cooking coming! HA You'll be back hiking before you know it!