Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Stitching, stitching, and rain

I've been working on a couple of projects this week. First, I've been adding embroidery to my wool appliqué project that I started a few years ago. It's from a Sue Spargo pattern called "Fresh Cut."

I've run out of some colors of pearl cotton, but I found out today about a needlework and gift shop in Tucson where I should be able to buy more: The West.

I'm also making good progress on the desert row-by-row quilt. I still have to add dozens of dimensional flowers, which I'll tack on either with beads or tiny buttons. The Kokopellis will also get some beadwork.

Today I was in Cactus Quilts, whose owner Nancy designed the desert rows. I snapped some closeup pictures of her row quilts that are on display:




And the monsoon set a rainfall record for July! We got eight inches this month, which is also more rain than any other month since the last record was set in 1955. Here are the monsoon clouds gathering over the mountain ridge, viewed from my backyard.


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Lynda said...

So colorful! Love it! And all of that pearl cotton - yummy colors! I heard you got lots of rain. Sure wish we would have gotten a little of that!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the projects you're working on, and nice that you found another shop to check out. Wow, that's a lot of rain! More to come, I'm sure... maybe it can slow down a little now!

Robbie said...

Love that row by row you are working on!!! WOW! I'm sure your beautiful landscape will appreciate all that rain!!!