Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Friends and food on the Fourth

I know a lot of people (including myself) are disappointed right now because of the recent  Supreme Court decision against women's reproductive rights. Many aren't celebrating the Fourth because of this, but I still wanted to bring together friends, food, flowers and all that is good. After all ...

"We have only this moment, 
sparkling like a star in our hand 
-- and melting like a snowflake. 
Let us use it before it is too late."
            -- Marie Beynon Ray


One of my first Tucson friends, Beth (left), 
and one of my first Gig Harbor friends, Nancy, 
who just moved here.

So let's start with the cake! It's the chocolate Texas sheet cake that I've been making for decades as I've moved around the country, and now it has a new following in Tucson. We decided to salute the cake before cutting into it.


Crustless green chile quiche

Black bean and corn chili-lime salad


Fresh fruit

Pasta salad



Tomato salad


Turkey meatballs with marinara and mozzarella

 

And yes, there was wine ...


... and flowers from my yard


After we ate, we walked the short distance to a city park that was having a laser light show. I couldn't get good photos, but the coolest part was when a fog machine layered fog over the crowd and reflected shimmering colors and designs in the air. Our little walk might have burned off a few bites of that cake!

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

I am so glad you still celebrated the 4th! We can't take away from those who have given us liberty! I too am so upset over the courts decision. We just need to keep our voices heard as much as we can.
Now about that food!!! WOW...love all those salads! Oh my...they all look so good...so did the cake but I do love a salad of any type!!!! So glad you had a good day!

The Idaho Beauty said...

You always put on quite a spread with the help of your friends! That laser show sounds like a nice change from fireworks.

sonja said...

what a beautiful bounty for the lucky folk in your life! thanks for sharing fotos of good food, fun, flowers and colorful dishes on the fourth.
you got to the salad days!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sounds like you had a lovely get together, and the food looks yummy!