Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Rain, rain go away!

 

The monsoon has really been dumping on us, which is good for the desert but bad for my house. Water is getting in where it shouldn't and I'm having to deal with repairs.

The strange thing is how localized these downpours can be. The shot above from a police aircraft is of a downpour in Northwest Tucson, which is where I live. I had hours of torrential rain that day that left a lake in my backyard and damp walls inside.

My new lake!


The view from my dining room window.

A neighborhood road left covered by dirt 
when flooding receded.


The monsoon season, which goes through the end of September, piles up clouds over the Catalina Mountains, making for dramatic views.

It filled the creek in Catalina State Park where I hiked last week. The next day the park was closed for flooding.


On a more colorful note, I've been in awe of the Mexican bird of paradise flowers that are bursting with red and orange all over Tucson.



The bees like them, too.

The barrel cactuses are also blooming, with crowns of orange and yellow. 



Have a colorful day

1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, you're really getting it this year! The forecast has been for a more robust monsoon season this year due to La Nina, and they weren't kidding! But I'm sure you are enjoying all the wonderful desert flowers in bloom - reminds me of some of your past posts where you used the colors you saw in your creations. Hmmm, time for a redux?
Stay safe, and I hope the damage isn't too great.