Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Stitching, stitching, almond croissant


I'm taking my little 8x10 collage titled "Water, Wind, Sun" to Absolutely Art Gallery and Gifts tomorrow for its miniature show. I love the colors, which I mostly painted on silk organza. I fused the pieces down and did some big stitching and beading to complete it.


I also made this blue piece, which I struggled to name. I finally decided on "Wetland." It's covered with a froth of gold thread tails.


It's been ages since I entered a juried show, but on the spur of the moment yesterday I submitted this piece from 1997 titled "Forest Fire Spirits" for jurying into a local show at Tohono Chul. They're having exhibits for the four elements, and the deadline for FIRE is tomorrow. I had to take a photo with my iPhone and I didn't have very good lighting.


It's already been in the International Quilt Festival in Houston back in the '90s and is in a book titled "Lone Stars III A Legacy of Texas Quilts, 1986-2011." I have great slide photos of the quilt from back then, but now shows want everything submitted digitally and my digital photos aren't as good as those old Kodachrome slides were.

Last night's sunset reminded me of the quilt's fiery colors.



I've also been using old, old charm packs to make some placemats and a table runner for gifts. They go so quickly that I might make some more and try to sell them on Etsy.




On the food front, some friends and I made the two-hour drive to Apple Annie's Orchard in Willcox, AZ. The main purpose was to have the apple pie a la mode for lunch! I also bought the sweetest sweet corn, peaches, tomatoes, and farm fresh eggs.

Last night I was reading on the couch and wishing I had something good to eat when I suddenly remembered that the cafe/bakery less than a mile from my house has half off pastries Saturday night! I sprung from the couch and bought an eclair for last night and this almond croissant for this morning. Life is good!

Have a colorful day

2 comments:

sonja said...

life is sweet and the skies are art in your world.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Nice to see you are putting some of your work out to be seen, maybe purchased!