Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Wild flowers


This was a week of wool wild flowers and real wild flowers. I finished some of my Sue Spargo "Fresh Cut" flower blocks, and Beth and I hiked among the wild flowers on Mt. Lemmon to escape the heat down in the desert

Columbine




I started these blocks about three years. At first I worked fast and furious, but as my arthritis flared up I gave it a break. I'm almost done with the nine blocks that are designed to be set together in a wall quilt.

But I'm finishing the blocks as individual pieces of art because I don't need another big quilt. The individual blocks will be perfect for gifts.

The flowers on Mt. Lemmon at 8,000 feet were spectacular, an unexpected treat. We went up the mountain because it's about 20 degrees cooler there than down below, so we had beautiful weather and beautiful flowers.



We only saw a few other hikers, probably because it wasn't a weekend. We hiked a two-mile meadow loop and the altitude made it a good workout.




Penstemone





It was such a workout that we felt we deserved the cheese enchiladas with three sauces at the Eclectic Cafe at the end of the trip! They're the best enchiladas I've found anywhere! It took all my willpower not to order flan or a piece of triple chocolate cake to take home!


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Lynda Heines said...

I can't keep up with all of your creativity. Love these pieces and all of the stitching. And those enchiladas - yummy.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Really lovely. What a good idea to finish each block as a stand alone small piece of art.