Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, July 9, 2022

More spirit dolls and too much rain


It's been awhile since I've made a spirit doll, and it's too hot (106) to do anything outside, so this afternoon I'm working on a trio of dolls.

These are a little different because I pieced together scraps of my embellished cloth. It's fun!

I think I'll do more in the kimono style that I used on the lavender doll.

They're fairly time consuming, so I took a break to do some beading on a little art piece that I'll stretch over an 8x10" frame. I was thinking of moon energy, moon goddess, and a little house in the woods when I made it.



This is how I store scraps of fused fabric -- ironed onto the paper side of freezer paper. They peel right off and still have the fusible web on the back ready to be adhered to another piece of fabric.


Now the bad news. About a week ago we had a major monsoon storm that dumped 1.5" of rain in less than an hour (that part is good because we needed the rain) and a bedroom window leaked badly (the bad news). Water ran down the INSIDE of the window and poured onto the carpet and molding.

My homeowners insurance sent someone out to look at it and I'm waiting now to see if they'll cover any of the damage.

My back yard looked like a lake and hail bounced all over the place.

After all that, these flowers from my yard and from friends are sure appreciated, and I love how they pick up the colors of my garden quilt.


Have a colorful day.

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Yikes, that's a lot of rain!
I love seeing your process pix of the spirit dolls and look forward to seeing them when they are complete. Clever idea for storing your fused fabrics!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Your little house in the woods looks like it's back in Gig Harbor with all that green! Gosh, I never thought to iron fused scraps onto freezer paper - what a great idea. I usually save the release paper from the fusible I use so I suppose I could use that as well.

Just saw in the paper here about your monsoons arriving. Not fun dealing with that leaky window. One of the places we rented had something similar happen during a heavy rainstorm. I'd been unable to sleep and was sitting in the livingroom listening to the rain when I realized what I was listening to was more like a stream. Went into the bedroom we were using as an office and could see the water streaming down the inside of the window and onto the rug behind the sofa. Turned out the failure was on the second floor allowing water to stream down the inside of the wall, and since we were renting, no issue with getting it fixed. But I sopped up several buckets of water in the meantime! Hoping your insurance pulls through for you - you don't need another really big homeowner expense.

Robbie said...

Love your spirit dolls!!!! Sure hope the insurance comes through...that is a mess to deal with! So sorry...fingers crossed it all works out for you. Flowers are beautiful!