Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, March 1, 2020

I'm moving to Tucson!!!!!!!


I went to Tucson to scope things out
last week and found
my new home!

I made an offer on a house that said "home" from the moment I opened the front door. We're aiming for a March 30 closing and I'll move at the end of April! I'm excited, nervous, euphoric and scared. But it's affordable (and staying in Gig Harbor is not) and I'll have the sunshine that I crave. And I've always felt the pull of the desert, even as a little girl growing up in Pittsburgh.

My new backyard, with mountain views.
I will soon be a ...


Tucson is known for its majestic giant saguaro cactuses. The oldest of these glorious beings have been around for hundreds of years, and it boggles my mind to think of everything they have seen. They are only found in the Sonora Desert of southern Arizona and part of northern Mexico, with a few strays showing up across the border in California.


I spent a day at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum taking in the beauty of the desert. To me it is lush, although some of you may roll your eyes at that.


Even the quilt shops (and there are four in Tucson -- more on them later) have saguaro neighbors.


This next one is on a tea towel in the gift shop of the Tucson Botanical Gardens ...


... and this one is on the mural in a Mexican restaurant. I spent a LOT of time in Mexican restaurants.


Yes, I'm a happy camper. Look at those short sleeves and flowers in February! More on the trip in future posts. I just got home last night and now I have to catch up on laundry and try to calm down. 


Have a colorful day


9 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I am SOOOOOO excited for you, Sherrie! I know it's a little scary, but I'm thrilled that you will be closer, and hope to be able to visit once you are in and settled! Congratulations, and I hope the move goes smoothly!
Yaaaayyyy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I bet you were thinking of me when you said some would be rolling their eyes at your description of the scenery as lush. Yeah, I look at your pictures and only think desolate! But I DO know how much you have always wanted to live in the southwest and that it fills your soul as my mountains, thick forests and lakes fill mine. So glad you jumped on a house that spoke to you, that indeed you FOUND a house so quickly that spoke to you. Tight timelines for packing up and moving and getting all the paperwork in order can be anxiety-producing but at the same time, it gives you less time to be worried, you just have to get moving! Excited to see this next stage in your life play out.

Lynda said...

Sherrie, I am so excited for you! My bff lived in Tucson for 10 years and loved it, but she missed being close to her mom and her old friends and moved back here. But I loved visiting her. Beautiful place. What a great place for the next chapter of your life. Can't wait to see this new journey.

Gerrie said...

I am so happy for you and a bit jealous. I, too love the desert. A sense of peace and calmness comes over me when I am in the hight desert of New Mexico. We didn't move there because we wanted to be closer to our kids. I hope you find lots of kindred stitchers - I'm sure you will. I love how you are moving on in more ways than one.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am so happy for you. New scenery and new attitude!! You'll be moving soon. We have hit yet another glitch in buying land in CA. But it's not a deal breaker, just taking a little longer before we can close. I had taken a class on Real Estate Law back in the 90s here in Indiana so luckily I understand the explanations of the situation. I am amazed that this is the second land we have chosen and both had title issues. Luckily there is a fix for this one. I'm glad the owner had accepted our lower than listed offer or we might be just a little angry.

I know you are going to show the inside of your new home and I can't wait to see it.
xx, Carol

Robbie said...

How exciting!!!!! So, so, so, so HAPPY for you!!!! You will love AZ!!!! What a wonderful journey you are now on!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!! Enjoy this ride because the scenery is going to be wonderful and forever!!!!

lorrwill said...

I am SO HAPPY for you! This is wonderful. I hope it goes better than expected. Thanks for sharing this. Your happiness is contagious.

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

Hi Sherrie, I am so excited for you and happy that you will move there to more sunshine. I wish you all the best and I am curious to read more about the new home and all the packing etc. Take care
Edith

Let's Waste Less said...

Good for you!!!
A new place, a new start... We will so miss you!
BUT! I have dear friends who live in Vail.... We get there occasionally- so you can expect we will show up on your door step one of these days!