Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The new house, packing and my son


Some of you asked for pictures of the house that I'm buying in Tucson, so here you go! My yoga friend Cheryl was visiting Tucson right after I left, so she posed in the back yard. Doesn't she look right at home? 


Here is the living room, which opens into the back yard. A gas fireplace was a must for those chilly winter nights. That's my super real estate agent, Nick, in the kitchen. The kitchen opens into the living room and the light flows beautifully through the whole area.


Since I have more than a month to pack, I've been thoroughly going through everything to get rid of what I don't want to pay to ship, and it's been a trip down memory lane. My little recipe box was a trove of memories, starting with this fortune cookie message underneath the recipes. It's coming true!


This Chocolate Chip Cake recipe from the '60s is what a childhood friend's mother often made for us when we had sleepovers at her house. It's covered with a topping of sugar and milk chocolate chips, and I remember getting so excited every time she made it. I've been a chocoholic all of my life.


I keep this photo of my kids and their new puppy in the box. Every time I come across it I smile. That's when we lived in El Paso in the '90s.


I also keep these kids' recipes in the back of the box to remember those fun days when we made play dough and gingerbread houses. Julia mixed beautiful colors of play dough, but Keith couldn't contain himself and always used so many colors that it turned brown or grey.


And speaking of Keith, today is his 34th birthday. 
Happy Birthday, Keith!



Here he is with his wife, Rachel, and their "Velcro dog," Penny.


And speaking of pets, I found a good home for my two parakeets, who I don't want to take with me because I'm afraid the stress of that long drive might be too much for them. A sweet grandmother and her two young granddaughters adopted them. The girls were so excited that they couldn't stop smiling and cooing at the birds. 


I'm holding this thought as I wait for the loan to go through (they keep asking for more paperwork).



Have a colorful day


5 comments:

Robbie said...

I can see pics of you in that backyard in AZ smiling yo at us with some fiber work on your lap!!!! Glad you found a home for the parakeets! We used to take 2 birds to Florida ever year...when little cheap died (Australian Grass Parakeet) Gracie still came with us until we had to put her to sleep (she was over 30 yrs old). They all traveled the 2 1/2 days so well...spent time in the hotel rooms and with the exception of Gracie were very quiet! HA She was a Blue Front Amazon and talked up a storm! HA

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the pictures! And great memories... those are the treasures to pack. Glad you found a home for the parakeets. I would worry about them transitioning to the warmer climate, but what do I know... only birds I am in touch with are the wild ones who live here year round and the Hummers when they come up for the summer season.
Oh the paperwork! Gads, I remember that. It has to end, sooner or later! Breathe... and hurry back to pack and go thru more things! Time will pass quickly.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh geez, the paperwork. We are paying cash for the land we are buying and it's still not figured out. They told us yesterday it will be any day now. sheesh. Your new place is lovely. My mother used to make a chocolate chip chocolate cake and I never have found the recipe for it. I'm saving yours to give it a try. It's funny that you saved that fortune. The Powers knew what would come one day.
xx, Carol

Wellpack Europe LTD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wellpack Europe LTD said...

Very Nice to read this article. keep sharing good work. With quality packaging materials it becomes easy to pack and move your house or office.