Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, March 6, 2020

Tucson quilt shops


I've been MIA because I'm totally frazzled over the endless loan details for the house I'm buying in Tucson, but this morning I'm taking a breather to think about quilts and color!

There are four quilt shops in Tucson, and I went to all of them on my trip. This first one, Cactus Quilts, is only 3.4 miles (seven minutes) from my soon-to-be new home in Oro Valley!!!! The couple who run it are super friendly. Here they are: Nancy Landon (the owner) and her husband, Dave.


Nancy designs beautiful quilts, like these ones below, and teaches. Her husband teaches hand quilting, paper piecing and more. It's a busy, cheerful shop.


The Welcome quilt lists memorable sites in Tucson, and the cowboy boot quilt is  called "Puss and Boots." They love cats, and you will see cat items tucked all around the store.


Nancy teaches a class on these cute little saguaro coasters, and I think I'll sign up for it after I move to get to know some other local quilters. I won't know a soul when I move there, except for my real estate agent.


Another major plus is that they carry a large selection of hand-dyed wool for my wool appliqué.


Next up is the Quilt Basket, another really nice store.


Just inside was this eye-catching display, which enticed me to buy a selection of that fabric for placemats, napkins and a table runner.


Taking a break outside one of the shops.


These next two were also fabulous. What I want you to focus on are the BLUE SKIES!!!



I bought this pattern ...


 ... and I love, love, love this cactus fabric.


Now it's back to the mortgage business. Blah.

 Have a colorful day



4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, my... you hit the jackpot with all those quilt shops! I just know you are going to make lots of quilter/sewer friends when you get settled!
Yeah, the paperwork sucks but you're motivated... it's like doing tax workbooks. A little at a time and you'll get through it. Think about those blue skies and all that sunshine and all those cacti and quilt shops!

Lynda said...

Wow! You are going to feel right at home there. Hope the paperwork gets done fast then you can continue this new journey. I am so excited for you and your new life.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great shops in the area where you are moving!!

I looked back and the deposit on our land was made more than a month ago. Title issues would tick me off but I won't let them. One day at a time.
xx, Carol

Janice Smith said...

Congratulations on your move . . . blue skies, sunshine, and four quilt shops! You will be all set. I know a move such as this takes courage, but it is also very exciting. Best wishes for a smooth, wonderful transition.