Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Spring and still packing

"Mom, Guardian of the House," by Sherrie Spangler

Happy Spring!

The first day of spring here started out a little foggy, but it promises to burn off soon and hit a high of 58 today. 


That's me in the little quilt. At the time I made it I was in protective mom mode, but now it could stand for guarding against the coronavirus. 

I can't wait to get to the new home in Tucson for long-term hunkering down. (But I'm still waiting on that loan approval. Last I heard was that they were awaiting revisions in the appraisal, whatever that could mean. I'm trying to stop worrying.)

Packing is still in full swing, with 106 boxes done so far and probably at least 30 more to go. It's sort of a Swedish Death Cleaning in addition to packing. I'm being ruthless in tossing and donating. I just don't want to have to deal with so much stuff at the end of the move.


Most of my quilts are rolled up five or six deep on pool noodles and stored on this wire rack. The moving company said the best way to pack them would be to protect them in plastic and stand them upright in a tall wardrobe box. In the past, we've always pulled a U-Haul with the quilts and other valuables, but this time we're planning just to take my car with the sewing machines, important papers and anything I'll need to survive for a couple of weeks.

We've moved around the country many times and the movers have never lost anything, so I'm just going to trust in the universe that the quilts will make it to their new home. I'll take a few of my favorites in the car.


Maybe I should also pack my toilet paper in the car with other valuables!


Have a colorful day


5 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the protective mom! And you're making great progress packing! Once you get to Tucson, you'll have all that unpacking to keep you busy during the first few weeks & months, since there might not be too many outside venues to explore right away. But I know you won't mind that much, settling into your new desert nest! Fingers crossed the adjustments to the assessment go quickly and favorably!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I think it would be much easier to have the truck in your driveway and put boxes in it as they are packed. That would give a great visual and inspiration to dispose of un-needed items. If only we could DO that, lol.

When I worked, for 10 years I managed the mortgage servicing department of a local savings and loan. Loan and property approval NEVER too this long. Like you, we are on hold for some reason or other. We have heard "any day now" too often and we aren't even getting a loan!! I suppose now that there is a state wide requirement in CA to stay home we will probably have even MORE delay. Brother.
xx, Carol

Cool Lizzie said...

Your process is so interesting, and I applaud your decision-making skills! Being experienced is wonderful, and I'm eager to see you in your new place. I live in Western Washington, too - Aberdeen - and feel like we're "neighbors" even tho we haven't met.
Happy packing and sending you all good thoughts for speedy loan approval!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Cool Lizzie -- I can't find your email to reply personally, so I hope you see this. I guess we ARE practically neighbors, hunkered down at home. Stay safe!

Robbie said...

You are making great progress!!!! Hate having to 'wait' on others like approvals/etc. Things will go but they'll keep you wondering until the last minute!