Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, March 16, 2020

Packing and worrying


How are you all faring during this unprecedented national emergency? If I didn't have to keep packing for my move I'd be spending my days sewing while social distancing. So far I've packed over 70 boxes and still have a ways to go. I'm actually glad for the physical exercise, because yoga classes have been canceled.


My main stress is waiting to hear if my loan for the house in Tucson is approved. Here is just some of the paperwork, to say nothing of all the emails. I should get the word any day now, but I'm super stressed worrying that the deal will fall through for some unforeseen reason. 

In the past my husband did all of the work for our home loans, but now I'm doing it myself and being careful to read every single word of every single document. The bank is in Texas and the title company is in Arizona, so I have to do everything online. I remember on other loans just sitting down in an office and having them walk us through everything. That was more comforting.


And then there's the normal amount of worrying about the coronavirus. I've hardly gone anywhere in weeks because I've been so busy packing and waiting around for calls about the loan, but when I do go out I'm super careful not to touch my face until I've come home and thoroughly scrubbed my hands with soap and water. I carry Clorox wipes to wipe down everything I touch in the car after I've run my errands. And no hugs, handshakes or standing close to anyone!

Fortunately, I have enough toilet paper. I read an interesting article about the psychology behind the toilet paper panic buying that said when humans are afraid we want to tend to our basic needs first to help us feel secure, and I guess having enough toilet paper is a basic need.


To calm down, I look at this painting that I bought years ago. It reminds me of the desert home that awaits me -- as long as the loan goes through. I'm going to have big pots brimming with flowers at the front door and the back patio.


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh Sherrie, I so feel for you, especially since you are doing so much of this on your own. I've been involved in enough house buying and selling to know how important it is to read everything, even when you are sitting down with an agent or bank representative supposedly taking you through what you need to know. I remember stopping the spiel many times for clarification. I'm just not one of these people who follow orders to "just trust me and sign here." And the waiting . . . enough to drive one crazy!

So yes, good that you have packing to do and good that you are keeping to yourself while the corona virus thing rages on. Not any cases right where I am (although I should check - the county south of us made an announcement today I haven't watched) but you just know it is coming. And yes, tp is practically non-existent in our stores. I shopped on Thursday, not because of any premonition but because of warnings of a major snowstorm arriving Friday, and had tp on my list only because I was down to my last extra roll. Tuesday, Safeway's tp aisle was still well stocked. Thursday, my store's shelves were empty save for two apparently rejected off-brand 4packs and a few single rolls. I left one of the 4-packs for someone else - I'll be fine with just the one. Even so, I was having trouble getting to sleep last night (I think it was a too late in the day cup of coffee), and found my mind wandering and sort of worrying about when I'd be able to buy more!

Other than that I am doing ok, am not finding this social distancing and hunkering down at home thing and washing hands and using wipes much different than what I usually do. But I know it will be a huge adjustment for many and I hope they can find the resources they need to get through it.

Carry on and dream of Tucson!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

70 boxes...that scares ME!! I have been hoarding boxes. I have been lucky to grab some from the Walmart stockers before they go the the recycle bin. I am lucky that we are keeping our house so I can just leave a lot of it for my daughter to sell if she doesn't want it. I got an estimate of $10,000 to use a moving service to take it across country PLUS it would take 2-1/2 weeks to GET it their. Now I am determined to get the biggest U-haul we can and limit what goes to what fits. There is some hold up on closing on the land. The realtor says it will be any day. Geez.

I refuse to worry about that virus. We stay in most of the time anyway but my daughter is REALLY worried her shop will close down because of it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that your mortgage company comes through quickly.
xx, Carol

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

You are putting good use of your time! And I know you will breathe easier once the loan is approved... fingers crossed they don't close the offices that are processing it! We are pretty much isolating here, although I had to take a friend to the pharmacy yesterday who has serious back issues. Postponed a Dr. appt. for Bruce and a trip to the valley. Our county has 0 cases so far, but we are rural so that may be helping. Big storm coming tomorrow & Thursday, so I have soup fixings, and we are good on TP. Hope we don't get our TP supplies from out of the country! Meanwhile, I have a sewing project in the works, and can always use the time for Spring cleaning! Stay safe, and fingers crossed the loan approval comes soon!

Robbie said...

It's really good you have packing to focus on...hubby is focusing on the stock market...watching our retirement/savings/etc. go downhill!!! Yikes...I won't be able to stay in that nice retirement home and will have to live with one of my kids! HA